Chip-Off Forensics Training with Certification
Students gain an understanding of device structure, and best practices for chip removal and cleaning. With a focus on proper procedures, the class provides the fundamental and necessary skills and understanding to remove chips from the boards with the least opportunity for damage. Students learn how to use the tools and techniques at their disposal to remove chips in the safest fashion using Infrared rework tools and Infrared reflow wave ovens. Students get a complete hands-on experience beginning with intact, password-protected, and in some cases encrypted BlackBerry devices loaded with data, and end with the raw data acquired from the removed chip. Once the data is acquired, an education on how to best apply todays tools and other techniques to decode the data follows. Additionally, chip-off on smartphones and features phones is covered, and chip-off exercises are performed.
- Properly Removing a BGA Chip from a Device
- Handling and Preparing the Chip to be Read
- Reading the Chip to Acquire the Data
- Applying Tools and Techniques to Decode the Data
- In practical lessons, hands-on lessons using password protected
- Blackberry devices, and utilizing forensic software to recover the data
- Students are provided with multiple devices to practice removing chips and acquiring the data
Students completing the course are provided with updates to materials and access to the TeelTech database of supported phones/chips for future reference.